4/10 11:00 (82’)
The screening contains nudity
For his twentieth piece, instead of creating a new choreographic production, Jérôme Bel casts a subjective eye over his previous work. Drawing inspiration from his own video archive, he creates a new work by selecting twenty choreographies to bring out his central preoccupations (body, language, culture, power, vulnerability…), by focusing on the issue of linkage between dance and politics.
Jérôme Bel is one of the most acclaimed artists of our times and this digital composition possibly gives answers to the eternal question: “What is Dance?”
Concept : Jérôme Bel
Assistants : Maxime Kurvers, Chiara Gallerani
Images : Céline Bozon, Pierre Dupouey, Aldo Lee, Olivier Lemaire, Marie-Hélène Rebois
Editing : Yaël Bitton, Oliver Vulliamy
Dancers : Taous Abbas, Fanny Alton, Cédric Andrieux, Sheila Atala, Sonja Augart, Michèle Bargues, Jérôme Bel, Ryo Bel, Malik Benazzouz, Remo Beuggert, Nicole Beutler, Gianni Blumer, Céline Bozon, Damian Bright, Matthias Brücker, Carine Charaire, Vassia Chavaroche, Germana Civera, Houda Daoudi, Diola Djiba, Shadé Djiba, Olga De Soto, Véronique Doisneau, Juan Dominguez, Moussa Doukoure, Dina Ed Dik, Chiara Gallerani, Nicolas Garsault, Ito Glissant, Matthias Grandjean, Stéphanie Gomes, Claire Haenni, Julia Häusermann, Sara Hess, Olivier Horeau, Miranda Hossle, Benoît Izard, Cuqui Jerez, Marie-Yolette Jura, Peter Keller, Maxime Kurvers, La Bourette, Akira Lee, Aldo Lee, Françoise Legardinier, Lorraine Meier, Eva Meyer Keller, Ion Munduate, Henrique Neves, Tiziana Pagliaro, Gisèle Pelozuelo, Carlos Pez, Magali Saby, Oliviane Sarazin, Frédéric Seguette, Esther Snelder, Johannes Sundrup, Simone Truong, Pierre Tu, Amaia Urra, Peter Vandenbempt, Hester Van Hasselt, Simone VerdeUpdate
With extracts of the performances :
– Jérôme Bel (1995) : recording of the performance at CND Centre national de la danse (Pantin) on January 12, 2005, production CND Centre national de la danse
– Shirtology (1997) : recording of the performance by Marie-Hélène Rebois, at Festival Montpellier Danse on July 6, 1999
– The show must go on (2001) : recording of the performance by Aldo Lee at Teatro Nacional São João (Porto) on December 12 to 14, 2001, production R.B. Jérôme Bel
– Véronique Doisneau (2004) : film directed by Pierre Dupouey and Jérôme Bel at Paris national Opéra on October 27 and 28, 2005, coproduction Paris national Opéra /Telmondis in association with France 2, with the participation of Mezzo and Centre national de la cinématographie
– Disabled Theater (2012) : recording of the performance by Aldo Lee and Jérôme Bel at Schauspielhaus (Zürich) on March 14 to 16, 2014, production Theater Hora/ R.B. Jérôme Bel
– Gala (2015) :
Moonwalk, film directed by Jérôme Bel at La Commune centre dramatique national d’Aubervilliers on May 20, 2018, production : Réunion des musées nationaux-Grand Palais, Paris in the frame of the exhibition Michael Jackson : On the Wall – 2018/2019.
Company Company, film directed by Jérôme Bel at Studio Abel 14 (Ivry sur Seine) on September 4, 2016, production : R.B. Jérôme Bel
Production : R.B. Jérôme Bel (Paris)
Coproduction : Théâtre Vidy-Lausanne, HAU Hebbel am Ufer (Berlin), La Commune centre dramatique national d’Aubervilliers, Théâtre de la Ville (Paris), Festival d’Automne à Paris
Thanks to : CND Centre national de la danse (Pantin), Opéra national de Paris, Telmondis (Paris), Theater Hora (Zürich), La Bâtie (Genève), Jean-Gabriel Périot, Didier Bastide
With the support of Ménagerie de Verre (Paris) in the framework of Studiolab
In 2019, Retrospective was selected at FID Festival International de Cinéma Marseille.
R.B Jérôme Bel is supported by the Direction régionale des affaires culturelles d’Ile-de-France, French Ministry for Culture, by the Institut Français, French Ministry for Foreign Affairs, for its international tours and by ONDA – Office National de Diffusion Artistique – for its tours in France