MOVING THE NEW 2022 / OPEN CALL
Dance House Lemesos announces MOVING THE NEW -artistic development programme- for 2022.
Programme’s Duration: March-June 2022
The programme has at its core the artistic development in the field of performing arts and serves the goals of the Dance House Lemesos that focus on encouraging the continuous progress of local choreographers, dancers, artists from the field of performing arts, audience development and the participation of the artists within the broader European dance scene.
Apart from the annual residency programme, Dance House Lemesos has been offering residencies for artists (both local and international) through their participation in several European programmes like ‘E-Motional Bodies and Cities’, ‘Act Your Age’, ‘Leim’, ‘Micro Macro Dramaturgies in Dance’ and through Open House Festival.
Who can apply
Moving The New 2022 programme, offers a compact but intense period of four months in which the selected artists will have the opportunity to develop their artistic practice and project through different forms and methodologies. The programme focuses on artistic development and research by using various tools such as time, feedback, peer-to-peer exchange, different forms of presentation, educational workshops and mentoring .
Moving the New supports the development of experimental and cross-disciplinary art and invites emerging as well as mature professional artists who live in Cyprus to submit their proposals. The call is open to artists working in the field of choreography, performance and time-based arts that approach the notion of the ‘body’ with various artistic means and they are also interested in deepening their artistic practice. Proposals may concern the creation or the development of a current idea, a solo or collaborative work that critically investigates, challenges, and extends the existing norms and practices of performing arts.
The invitation is also open to artists who had previously been selected for the programme.
Time Frame / Terms and conditions
– Artistic Research Period: March – June 2022
– Mentor: During the residency programme the artists will collaborate with the appointed by the Dance House mentor/dramaturg Rodia Vomvolou. With Mrs.Vomvolou the selected artists will engage in private monthly mentoring sessions, meetings and workshops with the other participants of the programme and moderated feedback sessions.
– Artists will have access to the Dance House’s studio for rehearsing and research (max 15 hours per week for the whole duration of the programme)
– Participation at a three day intensive choreographic and research lab with choreographers / mentors from Cyprus and abroad as well as Cyprus based artists (25-26-27 February 2022 / Duration: 9 hours per day)
– Participation at a workshop for dramaturgy with the programme’s mentor -Mapping the New (1-2-3 March 2022)
– Open Studio workshops: Selected artists will share their practice with the community (7-8 May 2022)
– Final presentations in the form of work-in-progress / Feedback sessions with mentor/dramaturg (18-19 June 2022)
– One of the projects will be selected for further development and will be presented at the 13th Open House Festival with the support of Dance House Lemesos (30th of September 2022-1st,2nd of October 2022) .
– Candidates are responsible for the current expenses throughout the residency, including food, transportation to and from the Dance House Lemesos, materials and supplies, etc. Dance House Lemesos will provide signed letters of support for external funding and can provide advice for potential financiers.
– Residencies are scheduled by mutual agreement between accepted resident artist and the Dance House programme coordinator based on the above timeframe.
– The applicants must commit to the entire season of the programme. Attendance at the activities and workshops stated above is obligatory.
The applications will be examined by Alexis Vassiliou (Artistic Director of Dance House Lemesos), Marina Kakoulli (programme’s coordinator) and Rodia Vomvolou (programme’s mentor).
Proposals are evaluated on the basis of the artistic quality of the submitted work samples, of the proposed project’s research field and the potential to be developed to a complete work. Dance House Lemesos can support up to 4 proposals.
Proposals must be sent latest by 30th of January 2022 (24:00) at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “ΜΤΝ / APPLICATION’’
For more information: 25340618 (Μ-F 09:00-16:00) / email@example.com
*The residency programme is supported and funded by the Cultural Services of the Cyprus Ministry of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports